Tuesday 27 May 2014

Spam Comments: What's The Point?

wordpress-logo-tilted




After getting a rather harsh Spam Comment accusing me of copying material for an Article that was 100% my material I approved the comment and requested the person that made the comment to cite the source for the allegedly copied material, to which I was met with no reply I've decided to write this article about Spam Comments.

this isn't the first time that I've written an Article about Spam Comments, but it's definitely the first time that I've been accused of copying material from another source be it in a legitimate Comment or a Spam Comment.

Accusing someone of copying material from another source that's 100% the Authors own work is a serious accusation to make, even if the Comment is a spam Comment as not all Blogging Platforms provide a Spam Filter like WordPress does, even a self hosted WordPress Blog ether self hosted or via a hosting Company doesn't provide Spam filtering unless the Akismet Spam filter Plugin enabled.


Professionally produced Blogs such as the Android Central Blog doesn't filter out Spam Comments affectively. The only free Blogging Platform that provides 100% affective Spam Filtering is Blogger by the use of having a setting available to Blog Owners that allows for Comments only via Google Plus, but this approach alienates readers that don't have a Google Account or don't use their Google Plus Account.

Spam Comment Accusing me of copying material from another source 3rd from bottom & my Comment requesting the source to back up this claim at the top of the Comments list.
Spam Comment Accusing me of copying material from another source 3rd from bottom & my Comment requesting the source to back up this claim at the top of the Comments list.

Accusing someone of plagiarism is a serious accusation that shouldn't be used even by a Spam Commenter as if it doesn't get caught by a Spam Comment filter or one hasn't been implemented by the Blog Owner could have serious repercussions for Any Blog Owner especially if the Blog Owner is the only Author on the site. I wouldn't like to guess an exact figure as to the amount of Blog Owners that are the Sole Author around, but I'd guess that there are a good few Blog Owners that use wordpress.com Domains or a Blogger blogspot Domain for their Blogs are the Sole Author of the Blog.

Blog Owner Authors have an easier time in working out if an Article has been Plagiarised than Blog Owners that have a team of Bloggers writing Articles as well as they won't necessarily have time to confirm whether all the Articles are Plagiarised or not other than their own unless they're a Professional Blog that has an Editor in Chief etc as well as having Journalists, as having a huge professional team means that there is going to be times when senior staff members (Editors & Editor in Chief) means that someone will be able to confirm Articles before they're published.

The reasons mentioned in the last Paragraph are the main reasons that I currently don't have a team of Bloggers or allow Guest Bloggers as I don't have time to write my own Articles, confirm that other Articles not written by me aren't Plagiarised as well as go about my daily none Blog stuff.

If I could afford to make a living from my Blog and could do it full-time then maybe I'd go down the route of having Guest Bloggers and a team of writers, but since I can't then being the Owner Author means that I can control the content to make sure that nothing is Plagiarised and is 100% original.

Roland

2 comments:

  1. [ Smiles ] I think that you were duped into letting a spam comment slip through; the person who did that is very clever.

    From my understanding, if someone wants to accuse you of plagiarism, the correct and professional method is via email and not via someone's comment thread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, but I think that it was my curiosity of the Comment that got me into letting the Comment through as it seemed a legitimate Comment compared to the usual link filled or poor English completely off topic Spam Comments that I'm used to.

    ReplyDelete

Advertisement

BBC News - Sheffield & South Yorkshire